World at brink of energy crisis and technologies still at the initial stage of helping us to move from coal to solar energy. As homeowners are choosing to pair solar panels with solar batteries. With widespread power blackouts becoming more common and unpredictable, people want to make sure they have reliable backup electricity when it’s needed most. TESLA a company found by visionary Elon Musk already pushing Solar panel development in high speed, but its still in initial stage, so what are the best tesla powerwall alternatives to try. We can go through in this article in detail with a list as well.
The Tesla Powerwall is the preferable solar battery option for homeowners, who are familiar with the brand and ease of use that accompanies it. However, recent news has emerged to suggest that the company will no longer sell Powerwalls separately from its solar systems, making it difficult for people who already have panels installed to purchase these batteries.
To help you quickly and easily find the right battery for your house, we’ve made an exhaustive review of the top ten solar batteries available. Check it out below to find one which will suit your needs without overdoing what is necessary or under-delivering on expectations.
Reasons why you should consider using a Tesla Powerwall alternative.
In 2022 solar energy has become so cheap it is cheaper than fossil fuels in many countries! That’s a trend that is only going to continue. As populations transition to alternative and cleaner means of power generation, things are only going to get better for the environment and cheaper for everyone, who wants to live more sustainably.
Is it Worth to Buy A Tesla Powerwall In 2022?
We believe that the Powerwall is a smart addition to your home electric system. There are several benefits to having an energy storage solution in the form of this technology:
- A backup power system that functions as electricity in the event of a blackout (13500kW)
- The Enables solar energy self-consumption for partial or full off-the-grid homes.
- Energy consumption at every given hour of a day via timer-based control.
When comparing energy storage solutions, you should take into account the cost of each over its lifetime. One way to calculate this is with the Levelized Cost of Storage (LCOS) formula, which determines the cost of an energy storage system across a range of discharge and charge rates while considering upfront capital cost per kWh based on total energy capacity (kWh). This method gives you a good way to compare total costs without getting lost in confusing time comparisons or projections that may or may not be realistic.
10 Best Tesla Powerwall Alternatives
We have selected 10 great alternatives to the Powerwall. They are all-in-one solutions, offering high storage capacity, powerful inverters, and competitive LCOS.
1. Alpha ESS – Smile 5 – Top Tesla Powerwall Alternative
Alpha ESS is a Chinese company with worldwide presence since 2012. They provide both residential and commercial markets with energy storage solutions based on lithium battery technologies .
- Solar Storage: Two built-in MPPT solar chargers (up to 5kW).
- This DC/AC Inverter has 5 kW pure sine-wave inverter
- 13.5 kWh battery storage capacity (Up to 34.2kW with a choice of modular batteries).
- On the battery performances Battery Life duration of 10 years warranty given by manufacturer.
- Device Connectivity we can monitor 24/7 via cloud connection
- Cost: 7700 USD including installation with an LCOS of 0.16 USD/kWh (10 years).
Tesla Powerwall Vs Alpha ESS
Their newest home storage solution, the SMILE 5, is a great alternative to the Tesla Powerwall.
The Smile 5 is cheaper than the Powerwall and with an LCOS of 0.16USD/kWh, its competitive with current retail electricity rates in the US.
Unlike the Powerwall, it is a real plug-and-play solution, thanks to the solar MPPT charger. The system is connected and you can monitor everything from anywhere; finally, additional batteries can be added using its modular design.
Sonnen is a German company with 10 years of experience in the domestic energy storage market. They won various awards for their products, and installed more than 60,000 units worldwide to date.
- An integrated energy storage system prototype set to include a built in inverter as well as a unique smart energy management app.
- As a high-capacity power bank, Sonnen’s Eco provides several grid-tied functions including a time-of-use management system that ensures that electricity imported from the main power grid is stored during off-peak hours
- power output power of 3.3 kW with a maximum peak output also rated at 3.3kW were given by the provider
- larger 15kWh battery could take 4 hours or more to charge which may be problematic during short winter days,
- Cost $9,500 includes the installation
Tesla Powerwall Vs Sonnen ECO
Sonnen stands out as one of the top solar battery producers on the market. The company is well-known for supplying highly effective, efficient energy solutions and the Sonnen Flat Battery’s reliability and power far outweigh its price.
The sonnen Batteries come in 2kWh intervals, so you can get the perfect size for your needs. Warranty They’re covered to have 80% of their capacity after 10 years. Tesla is only 70%.
You can’t miss. Tesla Powerwall’s alternatives without mentioning LG Chem RESU. LG is one of the most trusted names in consumer electronics – and for a very good reason. They’re ranked as one of the biggest lithium-ion battery manufacturers in the world, and so it’s no surprise that they are making an impact on the home solar energy storage market.
- system featuring two configurations – the 48V and 400V. You will need to make use of the higher voltage configuration—the 400V system – when you’re powering an entire home.
- Power output is 5kW continuous to 7kW peak (11kW for 16kWh)*
- SMA, the sunny boy storage device which can now be used in higher capacities (up to 6.0 kW) is available
- high-surge power appliances like pumps and air-conditioners can be used, so long as the inverter can also deliver the power required during an outage
- The cost of RESU-H is $7200.
Tesla Powerwall Vs LG Chem Residential Energy Storage Unit (RESU)
LG warranty’s a minimum of 60% capacity after 10 years.
Resu Prime batteries are equipped with an easy-to-install design and come with a serviceable feature to keep you from making service calls for minor technical issues.
The only way this battery would pay off financially is if you were to use it to avoid time-of-use or demand charges. In this case, one would have to be able to save $0.50 per kWh over ten years on every kWh of storage in order for it not to make more sense just save that energy at home when needed instead of storing it away for later.
Panasonic is one of the world’s largest and most trusted battery cell manufacturers and made their foray into the energy storage industry in 2019 when they launched the original Panasonic EverVolt. In November 2021, they announced a new addition to their lineup.
The EverVolt 2.0. While Panasonic will continue to sell models of the original EverVolt, The EverVolt 2.0 comes with new features including lithium-ion batteries using a different chemistry, larger sizes available, and an outdoor rating.
- The EverVolt 2.0 pairs well with solar panel systems, especially if your utility has reduced or removed net-metering, introduced time-of-use rates, or instituted demand charges for residential electricity consumers.
- Panasonic has usable capacity 17.1 kWh EVHB-L6 / 25.65 kWh EVHB-L9.
- Battery cycles over 6000 are more than enough in 10 years of period.
- EverVolt 2.0 is an extremely effective system with a 9.6 kW on-grid power rating, and the ability to dive into your grid down time with a 7.6 kW off-grid power rating!
- Cost varies from $15,000 to $2,0000 depending on you choose the standard.
Tesla Powerwall Vs Panasonic EverVolt
Guaranteed at the end of warranty capacity is 60% at after 10 years.
We usually recommend choosing Panasonic panels because they offer a broad range of high-quality options, including low temperature coefficients and top-of-the market, highly efficient products that provide exceptional reliability. If you’re going to be opting for energy storage in your home or office, the EverVolt battery is a natural pick and one of the best options out there with its unique advantages over lithium-ion batteries.
Smaller batteries in the 2.5-10kWh range don’t have the capacity to power large residential loads for long periods of time.
The Fortress Power 18.5kWh eVault has the capacity to back up critical loads and, in many cases, the entire home, with an average-size solar power system. While smaller batteries are built for applications ranging from small hobbyists to small residential homes, eVault is designed specifically for grid-tied backup applications that range from residential all the way up to midsize commercial properties.
- The TouchVault has a touchscreen. The TouchVault’s bottom corners are touch-interactive.
- Manufacturer provides you the 6,000 cycles over a 10-year span
- Highly efficient: 93% efficiency from solar panels to AC power output
- DC/AC Inverter: Up to 12 kW power output, can work as On-Grid, Off-grid, or hybrid
- LFP Battery: This battery has a value of 18.5 kWh and is fully scalable to 222 kWh.
- Cost: $15,299 including installation and maintenance, LCOS: $0.23/kWh
Tesla Powerwall Vs Fortress power evault
Fortress Power’s engineers are on a mission to provide you with advanced batteries that are not only safe, long-lasting and cost-effective, but also include some of today’s advanced features. The eVault has a beautiful 18.5 kWh battery with an LCD screen that displays Voltage, State of Charge (SOC), Power Output, and Operating Status.
Guaranteed at the end of warranty capacity is 60% after 10 years.
Simpliphi Power is a US company with over ten years of experience in electricity storage. Simpliphi is committed to fighting energy poverty, and has worked with utilities to launch several projects in Africa & Latin America since the beginning of 2017.
Schneider Electric offers an all-in-one solution that supplies solar energy. They use lithium batteries with a system called Conext XW Pro.
- Solar powered charger Up to 4.8kW of solar power generated.
- High efficiency of 98% round trip efficiency from solar to AC output has been given.
- Inverter produces 6.8kW continuous power output
- LFP battery storage of 15.2 kWh with 10 years warranty provided by manufacturer.
- The total cost including installation is $21,375, and the price per kWh of LCOS is $0.38 over a 10-year period.
Tesla Powerwall Vs Simpliphi Access 15.2KWH Schneider
The Simpliphi Access 15.2 is an all-in-one solar solution that links directly to your solar panel array, offering more power and storage capacity than the Tesla Powerwall. It provides 98% round trip efficiency in DC to AC conversion.
Enphase was originally founded in the United States in 2006. It’s now a global energy technology company providing inverters and battery storage solutions. Innovation is one of their key values as they currently have more than 300 patents on micro-inverters.
The Encharge 10 Power Station offers an all-in-one AC coupled storage solution that competes well with the Tesla Powerwall.
- Smart and convenient: App-based monitoring and control enables easier time-of-use control
- 10 kWh LFP (Lithium Iron Phosphate) battery storage with 10 year warranty.
- AC Inverter: 12 micro inverters that work with a total capacity of 3.84kW
- Cost: $14,000 including installation, LCOS: 0.38 USD/kWh (10 years)
Tesla Powerwall Vs Enphase Encharge 10
Similar to the Tesla Powerwall, the Encharge 10 is an all-ACC domestic energy storage solution. It benefits from the Enphase micro-inverter technology, making it efficient and safe. Unlike the Powerwall, it uses LFP battery technology which has been proven to be safer than the Lithium cobalt battery or Li-BOB from Tesla.
LAVO is an Australian company that hit the headlines early in 2021 for delivering a wave of excitement into the field of energy storage technology. Based on hydrogen, their solution was a world first and quickly became the most talked about solution in the world to solving energy shortages around the globe that were beginning to become a problem during this time period.
- Hydrogen fuel cell: converts hydrogen into electricity, 5kW AC power output
- Solar Inverter/Charger: directly plug-in your solar panel array for battery charging and make free electricity in cloudy days
- LFP buffer battery: 5kWh for immediate energy delivery (providing extra support, kick-starting grid power)
- Hydride hydrogen storage: safe and solid hydrogen tank with a capacity of 20kWh and 40,000 cycles
- Electrolyser Water Purifier: Produces hydrogen from water with an electrolyser
- Cost: 28,000 USD including installation, LCOS: 0.13 USD/kWh (15 years)
Tesla Powerwall Vs LAVO hydrogen Battery
The LAVO hydrogen battery is highly advanced and environmentally friendly. It has a storage capacity 3 times higher than the Powerwall, with 20,000 cycles or 15 years of life. Its LCOS is 0.13 USD/kWh, making it a versatile choice when you’re shopping for new energy solutions.
The SolarEdge DC-coupled solution is powered by a single inverter and provides higher energy efficiency, improved protection and visibility of each module via an app. The StorEdge DC-coupled solution from SolarEdge integrates leading battery storage systems with the company’s revolutionary solar inverter technology.
- DC-coupled solution for high system efficiency, solar energy is stored directly in the battery
- For higher energy yield, a single, smart inverter for both solar and storage is recommended for indoor or outdoor installation with no special wires required.
- utilizes the same PV cables, monitor battery status, solar production and self-consumption data from SolarEdge’s monitoring platform, remote diagnostics and firmware upgrades to both inverter and battery.
- automatic voltage switching equipment and electrical shutdowns which are compliant with the most advanced safety regulations to prevent severe back-voltage and other dangers
Tesla Powerwall Vs Solar edge
SolarEdge’s StorEdge uses breakthrough solar inverter technology to couple with leading battery storage systems for higher energy production, advanced safety and module-level visibility.
Solar + storage is simple with the Generac PWRcell Inverter.This bi-directional, REbus driven inverter provides a simple, powerful design for the integration of smart solar batteries. The PWRcell inverter is the industry’s most feature-rich line of inverters, available in single-phase and three-phase configurations, suitable for self-supply, backup control, zero export, and energy cost management.
- Single inverter for grid-tied with small battery integration, no autotransformer or battery inverter needed
- User-selectable modes including Backup Power, Self-Supply, Time of Use and Zero-Export and free system monitoring was provided via PWRview Web Portal.
- The PWRcell is configurable in sizes ranging from 3kw to 8.5kW, depending on your energy demands.
- Multiple PWRcell battery cabinets can be hooked up to a single PWRcell inverter for up to 36kWh of storage capacity and 11kW continuous backup power.
Tesla Powerwall Vs Generac PWRcell
PWRcell’s revolutionary technology captures and stores energy like that made from solar panels. You can store this energy for use later when the demand for electricity is higher, leading to a lower cost per kilowatt or preventing surplus consumption – so you won’t have to worry about going over your peak consumption quota. In the case of a power outage, PWRcell is ready to supply backup power during times when it’s most needed.
We hope you enjoyed our blog on the future of solar energy. With this knowledge you can make the decision to invest in solar energy for your home or business. So what are you waiting for? Start saving money and the planet today by installing solar panels on your roof.
Do share the article if you like it and help more people to aware of the option in Powerwall.